Note: If you are applying for the first passport for a child under the age of 18, who was born overseas, you must first report the child’s birth. Please see our section on Report a Birth Abroad.
If you would like to apply for a U.S. passport for a child 16 years of age or under, you must apply in person at the U.S. Embassy Consular Section. Please follow the steps below.
Schedule an appointment. Please use the online Appointment System to choose a date and time. After you have scheduled an appointment, proceed with the following steps:
Gather the following items to bring to your appointment:
2. The minor child, as well as the father and mother as listed on the birth certificate must appear in person at the Consular Section. If extreme circumstances prohibit both parents from appearing for the appointment, DS-3053, may be used. Please contact us at ACSMonrovia@state.gov for further information on the requirement for Two-Parent Consent.
3. DS-11 application form – complete and print. Do NOT sign the form. You must sign the DS-11 in the presence of the consular officer;
4. Proof of U.S. citizenship of the minor child and a photocopy — a certified copy of U.S. birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, original Naturalization Certificate, or U.S. Certificate of Citizenship;
5. Proof of relationship between mother, father, and minor child and a photocopy –minor’s certified U.S. birth certificate with both parents’ names, minor’s certified foreign birth certificate with both parents’ names listed, minor’s Consular Report of Birth Abroad with both parents’ names.
6. Proof of identity for the mother and the father and a photocopy – any valid, government-issued ID, including a passport, driver’s license, ID card, or military ID;
7. Two passport photos – 2×2 inches (5 x 5 cm) with a white background. See Photo Requirements.
8. The appropriate Fee Calculator (state.gov) – To be paid in U.S. dollars, cash only.
Processing time & Passport pick up
Passports are printed in the United States with a secure photo-digitized image of the bearer. You should allow 2-3 weeks for your application to be processed. You will receive an email when your passport is ready to be picked up at the U.S. Embassy Consular Section.
The Consular Section does not mail passports. You – or a person you designate by name with a signed letter – must appear in person to pick up the passport.