Citizenship Services

What Service Do You Require?

U.S. Passports Services

We continue to experience some delays in the printing of U.S. passports that were approved at overseas passport facilities.  Some applications accepted at U.S. Embassies or Consulates on or after May 26, 2015 are affected by this delay.  If you applied for a U.S. passport during this time frame and have travel plans within the next 10 business days, please consider requesting an emergency passport at the U.S. Embassy in Monrovia, Liberia, where you originally applied.

The U.S. Embassy Consular Section accepts first-time passport applications, applications to renew passports, and applications to replace passports that have been lost, stolen, or damaged.

We electronically forward your application to the United States for printing. The passport is then sent back to the Embassy to be returned to you. The turnaround time for this process is usually 2-3 weeks. You will receive an email when your passport is ready to be picked up. If you apply for additional visa pages, the turnaround time is 1-2 business days.

The U.S. Embassy Consular Section accepts passport applications by APPOINTMENT ONLY. We do not accept any documents by mail, email, or fax and we do not return passports by mail to any location within or outside of Liberia.


Consular Report of Birth Abroad

If you are a U.S. citizen and the parent of a child born out of the United States, you will need to document your child’s U.S. citizenship with a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA). The document is used in the United States like a certified copy of a birth certificate, and it is acceptable evidence of citizenship for obtaining a passport and entering school. Many, but not all children born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent are eligible to be documented as U.S. citizens through issuance of a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) and a U.S. passport.

To schedule an appointment for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, please e-mail

An application for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad must be presented in-person at the U.S. Embassy Consular Section. Please follow the steps below:

1.   The child must appear in person at the appointment.

2.   DS-2029 application form (PDF 62kb) – complete and print. Do NOT sign.

Supporting Documents – Please bring all of the following documents to your appointment. All documents must be originals. Certified English translations of documents in English are required.

3.   The child’s foreign birth certificate.

4.   Proof of citizenship of the U.S. citizen parent(s). A current passport is the preferred form of proof. A U.S. birth certificate or naturalization certificate is also acceptable.

5.   Proof of the relationship between the U.S. citizen parent(s) and the child. The child’s birth certificate with both parents’ names listed.

6.   A current marriage certificate and all prior divorce certificates, if applicable.

7.   Proof of the U.S. citizen parent’s physical presence in the United States.

Proof of your physical presence in the U.S. will be unique to your situation. Some examples of acceptable evidence include:

Social Security Statement:

Income tax returns

Employment records

School records, such as official transcripts

Medical records

Utility bills in the name of the parent

Passport entry/exit stamps in prior passports

8.   The appropriate fee – To be paid in U.S. dollars, cash only.

Please visit the Department of State’s website for further information on Applying For a Consular Report of Birth Abroad.

If you would also like to apply for a U.S. passport for your child, please go to the Passports – Minor Applicants section. You may apply for the CRBA and the U.S. passport at the same appointment. Once the CRBA is approved, we will submit the passport application. The total processing time to receive the CRBA and the U.S. passport will be between 4-6 weeks

Processing time & CRBA pick up

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is printed in the United States. You should allow 2-3 weeks for your application to be processed. We will contact you when the CRBA is ready to be picked up at the U.S. Embassy Consular Section.

The Consular Section does not mail CRBAs. You – or a person you designate by name with a signed letter – must appear in person to pick up the CRBA.

If you apply for a U.S. passport the child at the same time as the CRBA, the passport application will be processed after the CRBA is approved. You will receive an email when the passport is ready to be picked up at the U.S. Embassy Consular Section.

The U.S. Embassy Consular Section provides notary services for persons wishing to execute documents in the presence of a U.S. consular officer. This service is available to both U.S. and foreign citizens who need to have documents notarized for use in the United States.

You are required to appear in person at the U.S. Embassy for notary services.

The following documents are required to request notary services.

1. The document to be notarized – DO NOT sign the document. Ensure that you understand the contents of the document – a consular officer cannot explain it to you nor can the officer advise you on any legal aspect of the document.

2. A government-issued photo ID, such as a valid passport or U.S driver’s license.

3. Witnesses – if required. Each witness must present valid photo identification.

4. The appropriate fee – To be paid in U.S. dollars, cash only.

Examples of Notary Services

Acknowledgment:  To “acknowledge” is to admit, affirm, or declare; to recognize one’s acts, assuming obligation or incurring responsibility. For example, if you sign a deed before a notary officer, you acknowledge your signature.

Affidavit:  A written or printed declaration or statement of facts, made voluntarily, and confirmed by the oath or affirmation of the person making it, taken before an officer having authority to administer such an oath.

Consular officers are unable to assist you with preparing your document and cannot provide any legal advice on any aspect of what should be included in the document, if the document must be notarized, if the document requires witnesses, nor if the document will be valid in the jurisdiction in which it will be used.

The Embassy cannot authenticate or make certified copies of public documents or academic records issued in the United States.

For more information on notary and authentication services, visit the Notarial and Authentication Services  page of the Department of State website.