Eligibility for a CRBA

  1. Eligibility for a CRBA
  2. Transmitting Citizenship

Consular Report of Birth Abroad

If you are a U.S. citizen and the parent of a child born out of the United States, you will need to document your child’s U.S. citizenship with a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA). The document is used in the United States like a certified copy of a birth certificate, and it is acceptable evidence of citizenship for obtaining a passport and entering school. Many, but not all children born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent are eligible to be documented as U.S. citizens through issuance of a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) and a U.S. passport.

An application for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad must be presented in-person at the U.S. Embassy Consular Section. Please follow the steps below:

1.   The child must appear in person at the appointment.

2.   DS-2029 application form (PDF)– complete and print. Do NOT sign.

Supporting Documents – Please bring all of the following documents to your appointment. All documents must be originals. Certified English translations of documents in English are required.

3.   The child’s foreign birth certificate.

4.   Proof of citizenship of the U.S. citizen parent(s). A current passport is the preferred form of proof. A U.S. birth certificate or naturalization certificate is also acceptable.

5.   Proof of the relationship between the U.S. citizen parent(s) and the child. The child’s birth certificate with both parents’ names listed.

6.   A current marriage certificate and all prior divorce certificates, if applicable.

7.   Proof of the U.S. citizen parent’s physical presence in the United States.

Proof of your physical presence in the U.S. will be unique to your situation. Some examples of acceptable evidence include:

Social Security Statement: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/mystatement/

Income tax returns

Employment records

School records, such as official transcripts

Medical records

Utility bills in the name of the parent

Passport entry/exit stamps in prior passports

8.   The appropriate fee – To be paid in U.S. dollars, cash only.

Please visit the Department of State’s website for further information on Applying For a Consular Report of Birth Abroad.

If you would also like to apply for a U.S. passport for your child, please go to the Passports – Minor Applicants section. You may apply for the CRBA and the U.S. passport at the same appointment. Once the CRBA is approved, we will submit the passport application. The total processing time to receive the CRBA and the U.S. passport will be between 4-6 weeks

Processing time & CRBA pick up

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is printed in the United States. You should allow 2-3 weeks for your application to be processed. We will contact you when the CRBA is ready to be picked up at the U.S. Embassy Consular Section.

The Consular Section does not mail CRBAs. You – or a person you designate by name with a signed letter – must appear in person to pick up the CRBA.

If you apply for a U.S. passport the child at the same time as the CRBA, the passport application will be processed after the CRBA is approved. You will receive an email when the passport is ready to be picked up at the U.S. Embassy Consular Section.