As U.S. citizen parent(s), you should report your child’s birth abroad as soon as possible to the U.S. Consulate to establish an official record of the child’s claim to U.S. citizenship at birth. The official record will be the Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Form FS-240 which is a basic United States citizenship document.

Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

A Consular Report of Birth (CRBA) is evidence of United States citizenship, issued to a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday, and we recommend that the parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after the child’s birth. For applicants older than age 18 who have never been issued a CRBA, please refer to Possible Derivative Claim to U.S. Citizenship. Anyone who has a claim to U.S. citizenship must be in posession of a valid U.S passport to enter and exit the United States, even if they have citizenship of another country, as well.

If you are a U.S. citizen and the parent of a child born out of the United States, you will need to document your child’s U.S. citizenship with a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA). The document is used in the United States like a certified copy of a birth certificate, and it is acceptable evidence of citizenship for obtaining a passport and entering school. Many, but not all children born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent are eligible to be documented as U.S. citizens through issuance of a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) and a U.S. passport.

An application for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad must be presented in-person at the U.S. Embassy Consular Section. Please follow the steps below:

1.   The child must appear in person at the appointment.

2.   DS-2029 application form (PDF 345KB) – complete and print. Do NOT sign.

Supporting Documents – Please bring all of the following documents to your appointment. All documents must be originals. Certified English translations of documents in English are required.

3.   The child’s foreign birth certificate.

4.   Proof of citizenship of the U.S. citizen parent(s). A current passport is the preferred form of proof. A U.S. birth certificate or naturalization certificate is also acceptable.

5.   Proof of the relationship between the U.S. citizen parent(s) and the child. The child’s birth certificate with both parents’ names listed.

6.   A current marriage certificate and all prior divorce certificates, if applicable.

7.   Proof of the U.S. citizen parent’s physical presence in the United States.

Proof of your physical presence in the U.S. will be unique to your situation. Some examples of acceptable evidence include:

  • Social Security Statement:
  • Income tax returns
  • Employment records
  • School records, such as official transcripts
  • Medical records
  • Utility bills in the name of the parent
  • Passport entry/exit stamps in prior passports

8.   The appropriate fee – To be paid in U.S. dollars, cash only.

Please visit the Department of State’s website for further information on Applying For a Consular Report of Birth Abroad.

If you would also like to apply for a U.S. passport for your child, please go to the Passports – Minor Applicants section. You may apply for the CRBA and the U.S. passport at the same appointment. Once the CRBA is approved, we will submit the passport application. The total processing time to receive the CRBA and the U.S. passport will be between 4-6 weeks

Processing time & CRBA pick up

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is printed in the United States. You should allow 2-3 weeks for your application to be processed. We will contact you when the CRBA is ready to be picked up at the U.S. Embassy Consular Section.

The Consular Section does not mail CRBAs. You – or a person you designate by name with a signed letter – must appear in person to pick up the CRBA.

If you apply for a U.S. passport the child at the same time as the CRBA, the passport application will be processed after the CRBA is approved. You will receive an email when the passport is ready to be picked up at the U.S. Embassy Consular Section.