Event: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 1 Travel Health Notice for Liberia.
Exercise increased caution in Liberia due to crime.
Read the Department of State’s COVID-19 page before you plan any international travel.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 1 Travel Health Notice for Liberia due to COVID-19, indicating a low level of COVID-19 in the country. Your risk of contracting COVID-19 and developing severe symptoms may be lower if you are fully vaccinated with an FDA authorized vaccine. Before planning any international travel, please review the CDC’s specific recommendations for vaccinated and unvaccinated travelers.
Visit the Embassy’s COVID-19 page for more information on COVID-19 related restrictions and conditions in Liberia.
Violent crime, such as armed robbery, is common, particularly in urban areas and on public beaches. Local police lack the resources to respond effectively to serious crimes.
The U.S. government is unable to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens outside greater Monrovia at night as U.S. government employees are prohibited from traveling outside the capital or between counties after dark (with the exception of travel to and from Roberts International Airport).
Read the country information page.
If you decide to travel to Liberia:
- See the U.S. Embassy’s webpage regarding COVID-19.
- Visit the CDC’s webpage on Travel and COVID-19.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)
- to receive alerts and make it easier for the Embassy to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Liberia.
- S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor the CDC website for the latest guidance regarding testing requirements.
- Check with your air carriers or travel representative prior to departure for the United States.
- Check COVID-19 Country Specific Information pages for updated information on COVID-19 related to the availability of testing.
- Visit travel.state.gov to view individual Travel Advisories for the most urgent threats to safety and security.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- Click here for our Travel to the U.S. FAQs.
- U.S. Embassy Monrovia, Liberia
502 Benson Street
- +231 77-677-7000
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444