Liberia – Level 2: Exercise Increased Caution C U H
Exercise increased caution in Liberia due to COVID-19, crime, and civil unrest.
Read the Department of State’s COVID-19 page before you plan any international travel.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 2 Travel Health Notice for Liberia due to COVID-19, indicating a moderate level of COVID-19 in the country. Your risk of contracting COVID-19 and developing severe symptoms may be lower if you are fully vaccinated with an FDA authorized vaccine. Before planning any international travel, please review the CDC’s specific recommendations for vaccinated and unvaccinated travelers.
Visit the Embassy’s COVID-19 page for more information on COVID-19 related restrictions and conditions in Liberia.
Country summary: Violent crime, such as armed robbery, is common, particularly in urban areas and on public beaches. Local police lack the resources to respond effectively to serious crimes.
Demonstrations occur regularly and have on occasion resulted in violence or use of tear gas by authorities.
If traveling in Liberia, make all efforts to complete your travel during daylight hours due to increased safety hazards at night. U.S. government employees are prohibited from traveling outside the capital or between counties after dark (with the exception of travel to and from Roberts International Airport).
Read the country information page.
If you decide to travel to Liberia:
- See the U.S. Embassy’s webpage regarding COVID-19.
- Visit the CDC’s webpage on Travel and COVID-19.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts and make it easier for the Embassy to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Liberia.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
- U.S. Embassy Monrovia
502 Benson Street
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4717 or 202-501-4444