The U.S. Embassy alerts U.S. citizens residing in or traveling to Liberia that Liberia’s National Elections Commission has announced that the first round of Presidential and legislative elections will be held on Tuesday, October 10 with a second round in early November if a presidential run-off is needed.
Rallies, demonstrations, or protests could occur with little notice. Any large event could provide an opportunity for criminal elements or terrorists to target participants or others in the vicinity. Even events intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
Although there is no indication that U.S. citizens would be targets of violence, you are urged to exercise caution and remain abreast of the security situation throughout the electoral period.
Monitor media and local information sources regarding election-related developments, and factor updated information into personal travel plans and activities.
Avoid crowds and remain alert when using public transportation.
Report specific safety concerns to local law enforcement authorities.
Stay in touch with your family members and ensure they know how to reach you in the event of an emergency.
During elections, restrictions on traffic circulation, either imposed by the authorities or caused by political rallies, can be expected.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Liberia.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Liberia located on 502 Benson Street in Monrovia at (231) 77-677-7000, Monday – Thursday from 8:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. and Fridays from 8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is (231) 77-677-7000.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.