Due to the concern for possible violence in the vicinity of the West African Football Union youth football tournament at Samuel K. Doe (SKD) Stadium today, we advise that U.S. citizens avoid the area for their own safety. The event is scheduled to begin at 4:00 p.m. local time.
Even events intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Liberia.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Liberia located on 502 Benson Street in Monrovia at (231) 77-677-7000, Monday – Thursday from 8:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. and Fridays from 8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is (231) 77-677-7000.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.