(March 22, 2020)
Event: The Liberian government has confirmed three cases of COVID-19 in the country.
On March 14, the Department of State authorized the departure of U.S. personnel and family members from any diplomatic or consular post in the world who have been medically determined to be at higher risk of a poor outcome if exposed to COVID-19.
In response to the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak, the Peace Corps are in the process of evacuating their Volunteers from all posts.
On March 22, 2020, the Liberian Ministry of Health released a Declaration of National Health Emergency regarding the potential for COVID-19 in Liberia. The language of the Declaration is available here. The Declaration announces school closures and restrictions on public gatherings in Montserrado and Margibi counties for the next 21 days, and includes the closure of Roberts International Airport (with limited exceptions) as of March 23 at 11:59 PM.
The government of Liberia implemented enhanced screening and quarantine measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Visit the website of National Public Health Institute of Liberia (NPHIL) for additional information on these measures.
Effective Monday, March 23, 2020, U.S. Embassy Monrovia will suspend routine consular services. For emergency American Citizen Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website for additional information.
Many travelers worldwide have reported unexpected flight cancellations and limited flight availability. If your travel has been disrupted, please contact your airline. The U.S. Embassy is monitoring the current situation in Liberia and is aware of the hardship flight cancellations are creating for U.S. citizens who need to get United States. Register with the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive emergency messages from the Embassy.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Liberia.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Monrovia
502 Benson Street
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444