On March 17, the Liberian government announced two confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the country.
The government of Liberia has implemented enhanced screening and quarantine measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice. Persons entering Liberia who meet certain NPHIL guidelines will be quarantined for 14 days at a Liberian Government-run Precautionary Observation Center. Current conditions at the Precautionary Observation Centers may not meet U.S. standards. Visit the website of National Public Health Institute of Liberia (NPHIL) for additional information on these measures.
On March 16, Liberia announced a travel ban that may affect travelers from certain U.S. States; details have not been announced. U.S. citizen travelers arriving from the United States should be prepared to present a state-issued ID (i.e. a driver’s license) and their full travel itinerary. Persons under precautionary observation will have their passport retained by government authorities for the duration of their observation. Visit the website of National Public Health Institute of Liberia (NPHIL) for updated information.
Travelers in Liberia may experience unexpected flight cancellations and limited flight availability. If your travel has been disrupted, please contact your airline.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 3 Health Advisory for COVID-19.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 2 Global COVID-19 Outbreak Notice.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Liberia.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- U.S. Embassy Monrovia, Liberia
502 Benson Street
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Liberia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter