Location: Monrovia-Kakata highway, Liberia
Event: A demonstration is taking place today, Monday, June 24, 2019, near the Fifteen Gate community on the Monrovia-Kakata highway. Protesters are calling for justice in the alleged murder of two children some weeks ago. The protesters have reportedly blocked the Monrovia-Ganta Highway at Kingsville #7, which is one mile from the Fifteen Gate community. There are reports of persons injured by gunfire, including reports of one fatality.
U.S. government personnel including Peace Corps Volunteers and staff have been advised to avoid the area. All U.S. citizens are advised to avoid the area of the demonstration and to monitor local media to remain informed of developments as they occur. The U.S. Embassy will issue additional alerts if there are changes to the list of recommended actions below.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Embassy Monrovia, Liberia
+(231) 77 677 7000
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Liberia Country Information: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Liberia.html
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates. http://step.state.gov
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter