Location: Monrovia, Liberia
Event: Travelers should be aware that it may be difficult to obtain cash from banks in Liberia and should plan accordingly. Liberia’s banking sector has experienced a growing shortage of cash – both U.S. and Liberian dollars – over the last several months. As a consequence, it is difficult to obtain adequate cash supplies from ATMs and banks. There are no ATM facilities for public use at the U.S. Embassy.
Amounts of U.S. dollars over $10,000 must be reported upon entry to Liberia. Travelers may exit with no more than $7,500 U.S. dollars.
Actions to Take:
- Make sure your health insurance plan provides coverage overseas. Most care providers overseas only accept cash payments.
- Bring cash sufficient for the duration of your trip.
- Secure your possessions when you are in public areas; avoid displaying or carrying unnecessary valuables and large sums of money.
- Pay expenses such as hotels and flights by credit or debit card when possible. Check with vendors to ensure credit or debit cards are accepted. There have been reports of financial information being compromised even at hotels where credit cards are routinely accepted. The U.S. Embassy cannot assist with bill payment.
- U.S. Embassy Monrovia
502 Benson Street
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Liberia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter